If you’ve ever read much Seth Godin, you know how much of a fan of Little Miss Matched socks he is. And he writes about them here in a way that can really clarify the beauty of a niche and the danger of mass popularity.
His key points on product marketing/development:
- The product is the marketing.
- Choose a hive of people who seek out products like yours and then talk about them.
- Be true to what you stand for.
- It’s okay not to be serious, especially if you’re selling a want, not a need.
- Be patient. The market will find you.