Today’s guest post is handled by David, also known as the Jack Bauer of Search Engine Optimization. David often freelances for Raesea Internet Marketing and has 5 more tips here on purchasing a domain name. See his original 5 here.
- Don’t go with the misspelled domain name.
One strategy that people use is to go with a domain name that is misspelled like laons.com. Do you really want this as your homepage? Do you want your business to be based on a word trick? Yes, it might work but the chances are slim and it might be a big waste of time.
- Don’t be afraid to go with a short word that doesn’t relate to your business.
We’ve all seen examples of this and how it does work for other businesses. Think about Amazon, Google,Yahoo, etc. They are easy to remember and easy to type.
- Purchasing a domain name of a famous person doesn’t always payoff.
This used to be a profitable business strategy. Using a famous persons name as a domain name and then trying to sell it to them. Lately, we have seen where celebrities are just buying something close to that instead and leaving you with nothing.
- Don’t use that extra word.
Be careful about purchasing that domain name jklj;now.com or jklj;live.com. Users typically forget to type the now or live and end up visiting a competitor’s site instead.
- Don’t spend hours and hours thinking about a domain name. It’s not the end all. Put some thought into it and search around but don’t think you have to pick the perfect domain name because honestly there isn’t a perfect domain name out there.
Want 5 more tips? Here they are.