We know that the web is changing everything, but I think it’s the most exciting in the area of small business. Especially mom-and-pop business. Seth Godin has a must-read how-to for how the smallest of businesses can take full advantage of it.
A few observations:
- Design is important, but it’s also oversold these days. Just like musicians really don’t need a record company to be successful anymore, you don’t need a bigtime web designer to get your company online and functional. You might need them once you start doing more-than-basic stuff, but not to start.
- The list is so simple. I’m gonna do it myself. The only thing I would change is I suggest using WordPress as your blogging service – it’s free.
- Squidoo is a pretty amazing service (and another Seth Godin project). Spend a little time checking it out.
- Don’t worry about doing it the wrong way – you’re not doing it at all now, so it won’t get any worse.
- I can’t think of a business/church/charity/anything that can’t benefit from blogging.